Tuesday, April 3, 2007

thank you's all around

here we are at day 13 and feeling good. been back to work this week and it feels good to be productive. i feel fortunate to love what i do, and i am very excited to be back designing and detailing components for my firm's new office.

i wanted to take a moment and thank those who have physically been a part of my life during the first 2 weeks of treatment.

firstly, the man who makes this blog possible - adam burke. the blog has been a wonderful outlet for jen and i, as well as a nice way to look back on all that we will learn during the treatment. he has been a brother to me since fourth grade and his computer "geeky-ness" always comes in handy.

my sister courtney - she has been a source of strength from day 1 and has organized a legion of people who have been down this road before me. i also received a hand-made beanie for my naked head from her friend (and now mine) heather.

my sister-in-law laurie - she designed and made "bryan's bracelet" - our own version of lance armstrong's "live strong" wrist band. it's a physical reminder about what we're going to accomplish everyday. you can see all of her work at www.laurielynndesigns.com.

my best man tom cox - blockbuster.com has never seen such quick movie turn-arounds. as many of you know, i like to watch movies - sometimes the same one more than once. when all i wanted to do was veg (and most certainly didn't want to see any commercial with food) i just popped in a flick.

colleen garrett - a generous donation of her trainer (top of the line, purchased by her husband michael) for the duration of the treatment will allow me to ride my new bike for 10 minutes or an hour, rain or shine.

jessica hindman - every monday i am treated to another set of meals from my wonderful friend and chef. as i have branched out from tater tots she has raised her game - providing me with delicious and essential proteins and carbs.

my in-laws jeff and laurel - probably the most valuable gift to jen was the nintendo ds portable gaming system they gave me before the start of the treatment. this is not only great to help pass the time but because it is small and has a headphone jack, jen will not go slowly insane listening to the sweet sounds of mariokart.

my dad - he has fixed or will fix everything in the condo, even if it is not broken. he also has made himself available from the day of the prognosis for any amount of positive energy i may need. you can feel the confidence just looking at a picture of him.

my mom - the roads she has already been down have prepared her for guiding me through this. although we have talked about how none of what has transpired is what you hope your child will have to go through, we both realize that the strength in faith we will gain from this journey will in no small way change the world.

and then there's my wife - every day she wakes up, smile on her face and does her job. emotions have fluctuated but her focus never has - on day 2 she asked me to take a walk and all i wanted to do is sulk for a century or two. today, i could not wait for her to get home so we could walk the furthest we've walked since the start of the treatment. i could spend a lifetime thanking her for her strength and it wouldn't come close to the way i feel. but the strides we'll make during these next few months will be a nice start.

i love you all and i am staring at a pile of cards that says i haven't thanked nearly enough people yet - but then again, there's always day 14.

"if we don't come out of this for the better, we've cheated ourselves."

2 comments:

Gnawfish said...

I couldn't be prouder to call you my friend.

I want you to remember two things:
1. If you ever need anything at all at anytime, i absolutely insist that you call me immediately.
2. I deserved to be student of the month in gym (i mean c'mon, weight training? plus what about the 3 hat tricks and 11 goals i scored?!?!)

Unknown said...

For a second I thought you were telling everyone that "blockbuster.com" was my homepage... not yet, my friend, not yet.

PS - you should be practicing a lot of mariokart. When this semester is over, I'm going back to full-time training.