Monday, July 2, 2007

luckiest man

here we are on the eve of the last cycle and i feel great. my voice is is almost completely back to normal, i've been real active on the bike, and it's just me and my naked head out in public. that's right, no more hats!!! i thank all of my friends and coworkers for giving me the confidence to remove the hat and just be me. i don't want to go back in tomorrow but then again, i signed an agreement on day 1 of cycle 1 to let the doctor and the nurses treat me properly. we've followed the experts this far and my faith in them has been rewarded by a body that's well on its way to being fully healed. as we prepare to cross this very big threshold i'm reminded of a passage in lance armstrong's book i read the week this all began. lance has just found out that his testicular cancer had not only spread to his lungs but also his brain. he received an e-mail from a military man stationed in asia right before lance was to begin his chemo treatments. the fellow cancer patient said this:

"you don't know it yet, but we're the lucky ones."

lance responded upon reading this message, "this guys a nut."

as i read this passage i made a promise to myself to figure out what this gi meant - not from lance's point of view, but my own. well, i can tell you that i do feel lucky to have walked in this valley. more and more i am reminded of the footsteps in the sand analogy as a perfect description for my relationship with God. as i have passed through the darkest parts of this journey i have felt like i was carried, while in the times of greatest joy i feel like the lord is right there with me. my faith has been strengthened by god's work in those around me and i know i would not have made it to this point without all of you. i have run side by side with an all american in college, i have won races with a kick on the final lap, and on certain days i have not been the fastest man, but rather the toughest - and i will tell you this, there is no greater home stretch kick than the one we'll be starting tomorrow.

jenny will post her update in a few days - this is last time we'll have to build back up.

have a wonderful start to your week and a relaxing 4th.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We’re praying for you Bryan. It’s comforting to know you have that great medical team AND Jen and Mom by your side. I’m still finding strength from the time we spent together during Cycle #5. These are special times that will stay with us forever. We ARE the lucky ones.

Courtney and I can’t wait to join up with you guys next week.
Love, Dad

Unknown said...

He Bryan, one more and done. The Fourth of July will be your own special Independence Day.