Wednesday, March 28, 2007

First Cycle Commentary from Bryan

Day 7 and feeling alright. Been eating pretty good, lots of chicken and potatoes. Had our first check-up today and the doctor was impressed with how i was doing. Red blood counts are doing fine and the white counts are low but that's to be expected. They had my mom give me this shot on day 2 that helps boost your counts. This way during this stretch when they are low, they aren't dangerously low. This shot wasn't even available 10 years ago - amazing what medicine is doing.

As far as treatment goes, we are looking at 6 cycles followed by radiation instead of the original 4. The reason for this is because i am handling the treatment so well, they can really shrink this sucker and then radiate any scar tissue left over. I never do the bare minimum (which in some instances points to 3-4 cycles) and it's nice to see the doctors tailoring the treatment to me. It's hard to believe 1 visit is already down but i definitely am thankful for the rest between cycles. This will be an exercise in patience for sure.

I was prepared for much worse physically but mentally it's been a challenge. I'm gonna do some work tomorrow which i know will feel good and even writing this is therapeutic. As far as the hair goes - it's still on the top my head. Should be gone in the next few weeks but the eyebrows and beard will still be there.

3 comments:

c_lans39 said...

We all know you're going to beat this worse than you beat Adam at Chemistry.

We're thinking about you dude!

Unknown said...

Keep up the good fight Bryan, hair is vastly overrated.

ginger said...

Hi, Bryan:
Chris got me up and running with your blog. Laurel has kept me up to date on your progress. Your postings show such strength and faith I am amazed. Know I think and pray for you daily!
Sam is home from 8 days in the hospital, but needs angioplasty. Take care of yourself. Love also to Jen. Ginger