Friday, November 2, 2007

soundtrack to my life

hello all -
since i've last posted, jen and i have been on our first trip out of town together since the diagnosis. we had a wonderful fall weekend in charlottesville, and although i left charlotte feeling slightly vulnerable, i returned feeling more confident than ever. one of the main reasons for this feeling was the recognition that my memory is my greatest asset, not something to be feared.

for the first three cycles of the treatment, i did not listen to a single song, thinking that any music i heard would have me recall a time when i was not sick. what i came to recognize at the beginning of cycle four was that the emotional response i was most afraid of was my greatest motivator. this reflection prompted a conversation between jenny and i about the soundtrack to one's life.

for this exercise, you have to select 25 songs, a double disc set if you will, that elicit an emotional reaction [ happiness, sadness, nostalgia, etc... ]. as you're scoring this journey through your past the only rule is that you cannot repeat an artist - that means no double dipping tears for fears dad!!!

feel free to post your soundtracks, i will have a link in my next post where you can go to download the mp3 version of mine. i know sometimes people have trouble logging on, so feel free to e-mail me [ bshields@s2research.com ].

we have first post-radiation scan on monday, but this weekend two of our good buddies are getting married here in charlotte - congratulations to lori and ashley!!!

i have an hour plus of waiting to do before the actual scan on monday so i'm going to spend that time listing the memory each song of my soundtrack brings to mind. a follow-up post comes soon but for now, here's my playlist:

just like heaven [ the cure ]
soul meets body [ death cab for cutie ]
comfortably numb [ pink floyd ]
#41 [ dave matthews band ]
while my guitar gently weeps [ the beatles ]
rear view mirror [ pearl jam ]
jane [ barenaked ladies ]
silence is easy [ starsailor ]
all these things that i've done [ the killers ]
worlds apart [ jars of clay ]
love in a vaccum [ 'til tuesday ]
breathe on me [ jennifer knapp ]
heart in hand [ vertical horizon ]
in repair [ john mayer ]
silver springs [ fleetwood mac ]
one [ u2 ]
here i am [ water's edge ]
we might as well be strangers [ keane ]
when it's raining [ the samples ]
please, please, please let me get what i want this time [ the smiths ]
sleeping in [ the postal service ]
within a room somewhere [ sixpence none the richer ]
ave maria [cover by chris cornell ]
follow you, follow me [ genesis ]
happier [ guster ]

bonus track: here i dreamt i was an architect [ the decemberists ]

have a great weekend - get your flu shots if you haven't already!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting list, sadly lacking some Bee Gees. My list will fix that oversight.

Unknown said...

Okay Bryan, here’s my list. This was much tougher than I thought it would be. Who’s idea was this, anyway?!! Must confess, I got my list down to 58 songs and then had to go to a lottery to pick the final 25.

I couldn’t find a bonus track about engineers (imagine that), but I wanted to add a bonus since you set the trend.

Breathe [Pink Floyd]
Wishlist [Pearl Jam]
Out of Hand - EP Version [The Mighty Lemon Drops]
Borderline [Madonna]
Demons In The Night [John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers]
Steppin' Out [Joe Jackson]
Edge of the Ocean [Ivy]
Long Way Down [Guster]
Don't Stop - live version w/ USC Band [Fleetwood Mac]
Hideaway - Remix version [Erasure]
Walking On The Moon [The Police]
Never Let Me Down Again [Depeche Mode]
Chicago [Crosby, Stills & Nash]
In Every Possible Way [The Cranberries]
Daylight [Cold Play]
Beginnings [Chicago]
It's too Late Baby [Carol King]
Born To Run [Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band]
I Can't Quit Her [Al Cooper with Blood Sweat & Tears]
Where Would You Like Them Left? [Blaqk Audio]
Kiss [Art of Noise & Tom Jones]
Jessica [Allman Brother Band]
If I Fell [The Beatles]
Voices Carry ['til Tuesday]
Lips Like Sugar [Echo & the Bunnymen]


Bonus Track:
Accidents Will Happen [Elvis Costello]

Unknown said...

Okay Bryan, here's my list of Bee Gees/Barry Gibb/Robin Gibb songs. My list of songs to listen to when the Bee Gees aren't available will be forthcoming.

• Songs by the Bee Gees

• New York Mining Disaster 1941
• I Can’t See Nobody
• Holiday
• Really and Sincerely
• I’ve Gotta Get a Message To You
• Odessa (City on the Black Sea)
• First of May
• I Started A Joke
• Charade
• Edge of the Universe
• You Should be Dancing (Decadence mix)
• Stayin Alive (Promo 12” version)
• Lovers and Losers
• Giving Up the Ghost
• Alone (Single Mix)
• Paying the Price of Love (Jellybean mix #1 edit)
• If I Only Had My Mind on Something Else
• The Way it Was
• Warm Ride
• Déjà vuHow Deep Is Your Love (Supreme Beings Of Leisure Remix)
• Stayin' Alive (Teddybears Remix)

• Songs by Barry Gibb

• Shine Shine

• Songs by Robin Gibb

• Mother and Jack
• Julia
• Another Lonely Night in New York

• Bonus track- Bee Gees
• A Lonely Violin

Unknown said...

Now if you find yourself wanting to listen to something other than the musical stylings of the Gibb brothers the following songs come highly recommended. By me.

Ghost Riders in the Sky by Vaughn Monroe
I Left My Heart in San Francisco by Tony Bennett
Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole
All the Way by Frank Sinatra
Never My Love by the Association
See You in September by the Happenings
Light My Fire by the Doors
Pictures of Matchstick Men by the Status Quo
Give Me One More Chance by Wilmer Alexander and the Dukes
Sea of Madness by Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Astronauts and Heretics by Thomas Dolby
Screen Kiss by Thomas Dolby
Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Braddah Iz
Dreams of the Everyday Housewife by Glen Campbell
Should’ve Been a Cowboy by Toby Keith
Blue by LeAnn Rimes
Mad World by Tears for Fears
MacArthur Park by Richard Harris
Oh England My Lionheart by Kate Bush
Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
Be My Number Two by Joe Jackson
Vincent by Don McLean
Lalena by Donovan
L.A. Woman by the Doors
Walking in L.A. by Missing Persons

Bonus track
Who Can it Be Now by Men at Work
Double bonus track
Next Plane to London by the Rose Garden

Unknown said...

In case either of my first two lists have you scratching your head...on how Shields and I actually agree on one song.

One more list

Pretty Ballerina by the Left Banke
Jennifer Juniper by Donovan
The Man With the Child in His Eyes by Kate Bush
Walking on the Moon by the Police
Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo
Lifeguard by Blotto
Living Downtown by the AD’s
Middle of the Road by the Pretenders
Vacation by the Go Go’s
2000 Miles by the Pretenders
Where It’s At by Beck
A Beautiful Morning by the Rascals
My Old School by Steely Dan
Money Changes Everything (Live version) by Cyndi Lauper
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending by Tears for Fears
1234 by Feist
(Love Is) The Tender Trap by Frank Sinatra
Voices Carry by Til Tuesday
Breaking Us in Two by Joe Jackson
Black Coffee in Bed by Squeeze
Hello, Goodbye by the Beatles
Saved by Zero by the Fixx
Theme From An Imaginary Western by Mountain
Going Up The Country by Canned Heat
Emotion by Samantha Sang

Bonus track

Easier Said than Done by the Essex