Thursday, June 14, 2007

four cycles down...

Bryan had his fifth chemo treatment yesterday - only one left! We're employing the same strategy as last cycle to manage the side effects, and it seems to be working well so far. Knowing we're nearing the chemotherapy finish line is a great source of strength for us to push through the next six weeks.

This cycle has been the best yet, in terms of Bryan's energy and activity levels. Since day 10, he's been going to work every day - he feels much better now that he can be a productive member of the office again. He has enjoyed running or spinning every day -the bike has been a great asset during the hot weather. We've also been able to socialize more this cycle thanks to Bryan's renewed energy. One new hobby he's picked up during this cycle is sewing - together we made a pair of pajama pants.

Bryan did all the sewing by himself, and honestly, he did a great job. This cycle I'm going to put him to work on some dishcloths and napkins.

Bryan has had an incredible attitude the entire time, but its great to see his physical strength and energy building more and more each cycle. I can't leave out an update on cravings - since Day 3 of the last cycle Bryan hasn't gone a day without pining for the chicken burrito at Q'doba. I wonder what he'll go for this time...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay Bryan, City Hall is almost in sight.

C said...

Hi! I am so very proud of the both of you and wish I could be there all the time. I read this from a meditation and thought I would share it with you - Whatever our situation and no matter what pain we suffer, we must recognize that suffering is never the end point. Most suffering lasts only a time on earth, but none of it is permanent. Even death, when it comes, is not final for believers. Eternity awaits us, where we will be perfect, established, strengthened, and settled forever.

Love you!

Unknown said...

As I read and draw strength - I find myself thinking "how lucky can one woman be"!

Recently a very good friend shared "Having a sister who was diagnosed at age 15 with Hodgkin’s Disease and now just celebrated her 47th birthday, I know first hand what it is to be in a family going through many of the chemo, radiation, emotional and other experiences that your family is facing and there isn’t a thing I wouldn't give to see you not have to go through one second of this. That being said, I can tell you that as a family we are stronger, more supportive, more committed, more appreciative, more grounded, definitely more enthusiastic and probably only slightly more neurotic than we ever were before. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't count my blessings - so let's keep getting the most we can out of today because everyday is so filled with unknowns, and we're going to be stronger if we're together with our families and our friends than if we're alone.”

Buddy,
We are holding true to our declaration on February 26th - this will be done!
Love you forever and like you for always,
The Momma

Unknown said...

GO TEAM SHIELDS!!! Thank you for being my sister and brother-in-law. Hugs!